As a technical communicator, I dip into many disciplines to get my work completed in a way that helps the end user. Here are a few resources that I find handy:
- Computer Arts UK – It deserves a mentioning here as well because its magazine is that great!
- Adobe – Anyone who works in digital art is familiar with one of their software (InDesign, FrameMaker, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver, etc.)
- Creative Pro – Graphic design software central
- STC – The official association for technical communicators.
- MajorGeeks – The miracle site for those of us who are our own I.T. department. These guys deserve an award for their work and dedication!
- Print Runner – Your online answer for your printing needs.
- Lynda – Longtime provider of online software training.
- wpbeginner – A great resource for those of you (and me) who’re just getting started in the world of blogs.
And a few interesting and informative blogs on technical communications:
- I’d Rather Be Writing – A very popular technical writing blog of Tom Johnson.
- HellBound Bloggers – An international technology blog.
- STC1 and STC2 – Their official blogs
- HelpScribe – Another blog with some good advice and information.
And information sites to learn from:
And finally – some blogs for those looking for independence and more:
- The Art of Non-Conformity – Simply a must-have for those who walk off the beaten path
- Creative Freelancer Blog – A godsend to help freelancers stay on track
- The International Association of Self-Employed Communication Professionals – Major freelancer’s association
- Top Freelance blogs – A starting point for frustrated freelancers
- Escape the 9 to 5 – An inspiring blog that I have to thank Google for finding for me. Check in if you need a pep talk or more…
- Big Think – Inspirational source of thoughts by thinkers and doers
- WebInkNow – David Meerman Scott’s blog on social networking PR, marketing, and leadership
- Seth Godin – America’s Greatest Marketer or the ultimate entrepreneur, writer and more
- Biznik – Business networking for entrepreneurs going at it alone, together.
- AR Bendon Management – A friend and fellow searcher for independence and more
Feel free to send more helpful links.
Working For Change:
Since I was a kid (or all of my life), I’ve had strong views about how life (and work) should work. So I share my thoughts through my various writings. If you’ve been reading any of it, then you also know how much I can’t stand politics and how much I love everything that inspires. But sometimes, you have to put aside your disgust with the bad when life requires you to do so. I’m just starting down a path to help others in making good change happen in our society. I’ll never be political, but I will always speak out when needed. I’m late in doing things bigger, but I’m ready. So I’ll be posting links to organizations that I think are helping to ensure that life is as fair and inspiring as it should be. This page will change as I run into more groups of every flavor, and it will never be as complete a list as I’d like because there are a lot of people out there doing good:
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- American Censorship
- Save The Internet
- Demand Progress
- United Republic
- Center For Democracy & Technology
- ACLU Blog of Rights
- Chilling Effects Clearinghouse
- Consent of the Governed – Get involved
- Public Knowledge
- The Yes Men
- Investigative Dashboard
- Internet Society
- The Internet Defense League
For all of those thousands of organizations that I haven’t listed, know that you’re doing amazing work that I look up to and want to emulate. Each and every one of you is working to make this world a better place for us all. Our gratitude knows no bounds.
As Larry Lessig’s (now with United Republic) favorite Thoreau quote goes, “There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.”
The amazing efforts being started by Reddit: